Friday, June 12, 2009

Corpus Christi Tradition in San Miguel


Traditional red velvet banners adorn the streets of the historic center this week for the Day of Corpus Christi -- one of the four most important religious celebrations of the city. The celebration marks the end of Easter and is a precursor to the infamous Los Locos parade. Now what one has to do with the other, I don't understand but that's the way the do it down here. I was so happy to follow along with the procession tonight as it left the Parroquia and the people traveled enmass to alter after alter around town chanting. I've been feeling lately that San Miguel had become a bit 'tarnished' and didn't have the "glow for me that it used to, however, this evening as I took part in this local tradition I was reminded what it is about San Miguel de Allende that I love. Now I can't wait for the Los Locos to begin!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: